My husband and I will be in Sydney for 3 nights in July and I've just started researching. Our only previous trip was in 2008 and we dined at Guillaume at Bennelong and Aria on that trip. Unfortunately we don't recall the food being very memorable at either. I thought Sydney was expensive then and it seems to have just gotten worse and I'm suffering from a bit of sticker shock.
1) We would like to spend $50-$60 per person not including wine.
2) Coming from Los Angeles we're not looking for Asian.
3) Other than that we'll eat anything and don't mind sitting at a bar or counter or communal tables, whatever will get us the best food at this price point.
4) We don't need an extensive menu, a few tapas style small plates or a no choice market menu are all good. We just returned from France and some of our favorite meals were at wine bars and in a fish market.
5) I had toyed with the idea of making lunch at a nicer restaurant our main meal of the day (assuming lunch is cheaper than dinner) but we're there on a Saturday, Sunday and Monday and it seems those days don't really work well for that idea.
6) If you think I'm asking for the impossible and I should just have one great splurge meal and eat takeaway the other 2 days, I'm OK with that too but where? I'd prefer it not be on Saturday as I find I don't really appreciate nuances on arrival day when I'm jet lagged.