I am moving soon from Brooklyn, NY to Minneapolis. While growing up on Long Island and living in Brooklyn, I shopped at some local German-styled stores, such as Karl Ehmer's and Schaller and Weber (where my grandfather was a butcher!).
Here goes: Where can I buy German and/or Austrian food, alcohol, desserts, and other goodies in the Twin Cities area, preferably at a local chain or independent store? Things I am thinking:
1. Jacobs coffee, Julius Meinl coffee and/or preserves;
2. Good smoked bacon (like Schaller and Weber, if not Schaller and Weber itself) and other German cold cuts (Westphalian Ham, etc.);
3. German/Austrian/Viennese pastries and/or bread;
4. German/Austrian beer (specifically a good selection of hefeweizen and pilsners);
5. German/Austrian alcohol (i.e. Schladerer Obstler, German digestifs).
I realize these all won't be in the same place and some will be in obvious places (like in a good grocery or liquor store), but I am hoping there is a good independent store or chain that I can support.
I am looking forward to the move and have been reading these boards in anticipation of eating all the good food there.