I have a friend coming to visit Friday afternoon, leaving Sunday afternoon. She's a Selectatarian, which means that she will eat meat and dairy, but is very selective based on the source of the dairy or meat. Grossed out by unhealthy and inhumane factory farming practices, she vowed to only eat animal products that were produced in a humane way.
In practice, it translates into eating only animal products that are
- from small (preferably local) farms
- or are organic,
- or are humanely produced (some producers market this)
She's from New England, and is happy to eat local cheese because factory farms are rare (if not non-existent) in New England.
New York is the city where you can find anything, and I'm determined to find a few awesome things for my friend.
I'd like to find some of the following treats that meet the selectatarian criteria above:
- top of list: really really good pizza. thin crust. ny style? with cheese. (would try non-thin crust if good enough)
- burgers (these are easier to find, with lots of grass-fed options around like brgr...but where are the best ones? No crazy expensive ones, though)
- ice cream
- baked goods
- other cheap-ish chow-ish grub for dinner. Maybe one moderately priced meal? (I'm a student, so for me that means entree from $11-22).
- pork dishes...bbq, sandwiches (bahn mi?), pork chops, etc.
- sustainable fish
- a long shot...but an Irish/English breakfast? Other brunch/brekkie options?
- Steak? (obviously this won't be a cheap meal, but maybe a hanger steak or sirloin that wouldn't break the bank?)
- if there's an outstanding vegetarian place, always good to know
- one more thing...a bit off topic...best vegetarian dim sum?
Happy to travel. Live in Greenpoint, but will be getting all over Manhattan and Brooklyn on foot and by subway/bus.
Ethnicity of food does not matter--just that it's good. Bring on the weird organ meats if they're from a happy animal.
Price range - cheapish and moderate. I'm on a budget, and am more interested in hearing about cheaper options also because it's always easy to find high-end farm-to-table places. But I defnintely would love to know your favorite moderate spots too.
What I know about so far:
- Van Leeuwen Ice Cream truck in williamsburg...all local organic eggs/milk
- Butter Lane - cupcakes made with organic dairy
- Brgr (grass-fed burgers--I liked this place a lot)
- 5 Leaves (grass fed burgers...how are they there?)
- Porchetta (uses niman ranch hogs...should work, i think)
- Egg (for breakfast) Sparky's (dinner)
- Slice (is it any good??)
- Diner (think they have grass-fed steaks)
- Papacitos (ok, it's that they have awesome vegetarian meat-like options--seitan asada tacos, for example)
would love to expand the list!
Updated 2 years ago | 13
Updated 8 months ago | 1
Updated 1 year ago | 14
Updated 1 year ago | 10
Updated 10 months ago | 1