D.C. Hound here, finally able to visit Austin after many years away. My profoundest apologies, but I need quick advice, as in, tonight. Only just now firmed up my plans. Looking for dinner tomorrow evening and breakfast on Wednesday. I've perused the board, and many of your wonderful threads -- including the many compilations by the indefatigable MPH -- but don't yet have any clarity on what the obvious choices should be.
Parameters for dinner:
1. Not *extremely* formal or expensive. Doesn't have to be a ive; but that would fone, too, if that's where the best food is.
2. Not *extremely* noisy -- i.e., must be able to hold a conversation with a half-dozen other folks. But can be lively, of course.
3. Seating for seven, including two youngsters.
4. Must have good vegetarian options (alas, I think this means no on Smitty's -- perhaps another time).
5. Most importantly, great food that I can't get in D.C. I was *assuming* this meant Tex-Mex (once Lockhart is out of the picture), but perhaps not. Of the Tex-Mex places, are there uniform (or close to it) raves for El Chile, Angie's, Las Comales, El Meson -- or somewhere else? (I'm not even sure all these are Tex-Mex.)
Breakfast: Preferably walking distance from the Driskill -- or a manageable cab ride. Other than that -- simply great food I can't get in D.C.
Thanks so much in advance!