Five ‘hounds gathered for dim sum today at Great Eastern Restaurant on Jackson St. Not having had many chances recently for dim sum with a group large enough to sample several items, I happily drove past the dim sum paradise in Millbrae on my way up to the City. Five people isn’t many but we made up for it by ordering enough for eight. And we had lots to choose from— Great Eastern offers a surprisingly large variety of dim sum for a restaurant that doesn’t particularly specialize in dim sum.
No carts here— you order off a menu, though there are a few non-menu dishes brought around on trays. We chose—
2. Steamed Spareribs
9. Shrimp Dumplings
10. Snow Pea Sprouts w/ Dry Scallops & Shrimp Dumplings
13. Zhiu Zhou Dumplings
14. Pork & Shrimp Bean Curd Skin Roll
23. Steamed Beef Short Ribs w/ Black Pepper Sauce
28. Deep Fried Minced Meat Turnover
33. Deep Fried Pumpkin and Egg-yolk Ball
41. Pan Fried Bitter Melon Beef Dumplings
42. Turnip Cake
44. Deep Fried Taro Turnover w/ Minced Meat
48. Pan Fried Bitter Melon Stuffed w/ Fish
53. Deep Fried Bean Curd Skin Rolls
55. Rice Noodle Roll Stuffed with Beef
70. Honey Glazed Barbecued Spareribs
75. Soya Sauce Duck Chin
GE’s use of the term “turnover” seems a bit misleading. No. 28 was a deep fried mochi ball with minced meat inside, and 44. was a typical deep fried taro ball.
Once the food started coming the pace was fast and furious. I wasn’t always sure what I was eating, but with a little help from my friends figured most of it out by the end of the meal.
I’ll give others a chance to comment before returning with my own impressions. Many thanks to Melanie for getting us together.
Updated 4 months ago | 6
Updated 2 months ago | 0
Updated 3 months ago | 7
Updated 1 month ago | 6
Updated 4 days ago | 6