hmom's in town so we've been doing a lot of chowhounding.
First stop, Delhi Darbar. I've been meaning to go here for a while given zim's frequent advocacy of this place as the spot for kebabs. I must admit however that I dont really understand what kebabs are. I always assumed kebab referred to grilled meats like shish kebabs, shwarma, etc. this place had a pretty expansive menu, though. The best things to order at a kebbabi? I have no idea, but we had;
1. three breads, a decent tandoor naan, an exellent paratha, and an unbelievabler 1/2 flat bread, 1/2 puffy bread hybrid that was bubbly, crispy, buttery, with an exoti nose of cumin. A revelation.
2. chiken Tikka. Bone in thighs, drumsticks, and breasts, tandoori red, with an unexpeted spicy masala-ish kik. Smoky aroma, dense, moist, and sizzling on hot iron and onioins. excellent. This must be the type of dish to order at such a place.
3. vegetable birriani. eggplants, onion, cardamon pods, cabbage, and other veg in a spicy buttery basmati pilaf. decent if somewhat unidimensional in flavor.
4. Lamb kuorma. fork tender braised lamb cuts including transected shanks in a brown marrow laden spicy curry gravey. I thought it was deliious but could have used more acidity and heat.
Next stop was latenight eats at triple crown, with their exellent 5-7 buck oversized chinese late night tapas-like menu.
1. watercress. crisp aromatic threads and leaves wok'd under searing heat and flavored with garlic. ridiculously green and fresh.
2. green beans with minced pork. sweet firm pods blistered and coated with a salty meaty sauce that accentuated their sugar.
3. chives with garlic. Again sweet and green and baingly fresh. Oniony crunch in a light salty garliky oil.
4. spare ribs in black pepper. crispy fried 1/4 inch slices of bone in rib meat that were chewy and flavorful and nicely contrasting to the sweet onion and pepper slices.
5. clams in black bean sauce. The clams were insipid, not bright tasting, and the blackbean sauce was boring.
6. seafood in XO sauce. We aked for the spicyest dish. this ended up being squid, scallops, shrimp, bok choy, in oyster sauce laced with a bit of chili oil and some weak jalapenos.
It seamed strange that this alleged seafood house had such mediocre seafood and bright vegetable and meat dishes.
The next stop was a first ever pass at the legendary cantonese greasy spoon litle Three Happiness. This place is old shool and quality based on our first pass we had.
1. crispy thin noodles with vegetables. thin noodles pan fried to perfection with pan side crispy threads that crunched like so many small bones lying side by side with the al dente pads of chewy noodle that were not pressed against the pan. topped with a wonderfully slimey sauce and perfectly cooked chinese broccoli, bok choy, mini corns, water chestnut, straw mushrooms.
A perfetly executed old warhorse. guily pleasure all the way.
2. crispy skin chiken. the skin like a soy laced maeaty potato chip, the meat moist, dense, and perfetly flavorful when dipped in the aromati salt dish ans sprinkled with lemon.
3. Gwivs garliky salty chili sauce. The best chili oil ever.
Updated 11 months ago | 7
Updated 1 year ago | 1
Updated 2 years ago | 0
Updated 4 months ago | 4
Updated 1 year ago | 1