We are heading down the 401 to the "promised land" that is called the GTA! I have been lurking on your board, and have put together a potential itinerary, and would love your advice. There have been some claims that Montreal is overrated for food, and that TO is much better. So show me the money!
I've chosen a few categories, and obviously, I am not going to worry about French cuisine, can get plenty at home. But any extra suggestions would also be welcome. Very adventurous, have very broad tastes. Looking for hole in the wall places,but also don't mind some upscale. Surprise me!
1. MUST GET SOUP DUMPLINGS! Narrowed down our choices to Din Tai Fung, Hi Shanghai. Willing to try more than one place.
2. Chinese: Sounds like it might be worth wandering around the Pacific Mall area and Highway 7. Depending on interest of our friends, we are considering O-Mei, Peaktop for the suckling pig, maybe Szechuan Legend and Hot Spicy Spicy. Maybe Swatow late at night.
3. Dim Sum: Lai Toi Heen, City Inn Chinese and Casa Imperial are on the shortlist.
4. Mata Hari for Malaysian.
5. Roti: Island Foods (although I may have to get the oxtail, I adore oxtail, anyone had it?) and possible Ghandi for comparison.
6. High Street Fish and Chips for F&C and Melton Mobraw Pie! Yay! Will also try the deep-fried haggis! May also get to Mrs. Bridges for pies.
7. Hakka! Narrowed this down to Danforth Dragon or Yueh Ting, but would appreciate recent feedback for Lin Garden. Someone also suggested Tangerine Asian cuisine, but don't have much info on this.
8. Hollywood Gelato for the toasted marshmallow ice cream.
9. Coffee Mills: In search of Ludlab! But I love Hungarian cuisine in general.
10. Ramen: I noodle? there was a tantalizing note about ramen at a place called Solo sushi ya too, but any more info?
11. Fried Chicken at Ritz Caribbean. Any extra word on Harlem?
12. Will try some pizza/calzones at Bitondo or Columbo.
13. Will lurk around St. Lawrence Market (but likely on a weekday) and T&T.
14. Any suggestions for browsing for fine wine?
We will be in town over the Easter weekend. Will things be closed on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday? Any other Toronto must haves? Places to browse for good food? Have a car, willing to travel. Will obviously report back! Thanks for your help!
Updated 10 months ago | 7
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 2 years ago | 14
Updated 1 year ago | 5
Updated 3 months ago | 3