This recipe arrived in the most recent edition of Penzey's catalogue. It's a pretty down home sort of cake so I gave it a whirl. It has nice texture and a good bit of promise but not the full punch of flavor that one could hope for. Does have all the homey, comfort food prettiness the catalogue suggests.
There's no vanilla or comparable extract but I'm hoping for more of the apple flavor. Is there an apple flavored liqueur? Or something with a caramel flavor? Something else I'm not thinking of that would enhance the apple flavor?
Baking time: 90 minutes
Active Prep: 15 minutes
Start to finish: 1 hour, 45 minutes
• 4 cups flour
• 2 cups sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup vegetable oil or olive oil (I used a roasted walnut oil -- La Nogalera if anyone knows it -- this stuff is *killer*!)
• 3/4 cup orange juice (I'm thinking 1/4 water + 1/2 frozen apple juice concentrate next time)
• 4 eggs
• 4 medium apples, sweet varieties such as Gala or Fuji, peeled and thinly sliced (attending to the warning that too much could interfer with the middle of the cake fully baking I didn't use 3 full apples but the apples I did use were large ones)
• 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar (I used at least twice that much including a generous sprinkle after it emerged from the oven)
Preheat the oven to 350˚.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the oil, orange juice and eggs and mix well on low speed.
Pour half of the batter into a greased and floured tube pan. Add a thin layer of apple slices, going easy on the apples as too much will prevent the cake from baking in the middle. Generously sprinkle the apples with cinnamon sugar, trying not to hit the sides of the pan as the sugar will increase the potential for sticking and burning. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the apple layer. Arrange more apple slices on top and generously cover them with cinnamon sugar as well.
Bake at 350˚ for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. (My fully baked cake registered a 200˚ internal temperature measured with a digital probe)
Let the cake cool completely before removing from the pan onto a serving plate.
For each of 16 pieces (without any of the changes I suggested):
Calories from fat 140
Total fat 16g
Dietary fiber 2g