My dad will be going home to Malaysia next week, and will also visit Hong Kong, China, Singapore, and Thailand (though none of them for that long) on his trip. He's asked me what I wanted him to bring back, and my mind went straight to trying to stock my kitchen. We live in Southwestern Ontario, not too far from Toronto, so there is a certain amount of stuff we can get already... just not always the good stuff (or much Malaysian stuff), you know?
What I'm thinking:
- sooooo much Malaysian coffee (especially white coffee)
- curry paste - we had a brand that we liked that my aunts sent over for a while
- dried shrimp (maybe dried anchovies too, for nasi lemak... which I still have to learn to make)
- maybe asam (tamarind?) paste/juice or something
- dried chillis
- gula melaka/rock sugar
- sambal paste to make nasi lemak with?
Any other suggestions? I looooove Malaysian food and always crave it lots, but I'm not too aware of what might be good to get from the other countries as well. My dad is going to be spending most of his time travelling more so than shopping, so anything that isn't available at a street market/supermarket/corner store is probably out. I kind of want a steamboat/hot-pot or juicer, but I think he'll balk at that.