I'm taking my boyfriend out to dinner for his 30th birthday in June and am trying to pick a restaurant. We both love food, and generally do big splurge / tasting menu / restaurant-we-always-wanted-to-try birthday dinners. Past b-day dinners have been Momofuku Ko, Babbo, Lupa, Little Owl and two Brooklyn restaurants that I'll leave out here since it's the wrong board. Because this is the big 30th birthday, my initial plan was to do something really special (I was initially thinking about getting a driver to take us out to Blue Hill stone barns, or something similar) but I'm now downsizing for two reasons: 1- I decided on a very pricey bday present & 2- for family reasons we're now going to be going out on a Wednesday night.
So, here's what I'm looking for:
- Cost: under $400 (though obviously cheaper would be better) including drinks & tip
- Tasting menu within my price range would be a huge plus - he loves doing tasting menus. Even better if tasting menu + good wine pairing is in my price range
- Good wine (even if it's not in a pairing) is a must
- We're both adventurous eaters and any type of food is an option. Not sushi or Indian unless it's really special - in general these are more my things than his, and it's his birthday so I want it to be about him
- The lower half of Manhattan is preferable but not necessary
- Something fun and interesting! Good food is definitely way more important than a beautiful room / elegant setting. Quirky / unusual / interesting / exciting / informal / adventurous - all good for us!
So far I've been thinking about:
- Blue Hill NY (tasting)
Sorry about the long post! Any thoughts / comments / etc would be much appreciated!