Hi all! So I've been browsing this board for several weeks now, and after absorbing various restaurant names and recommendations, I’m starting to think about setting up an itinerary for our trip. To that end, I’m hoping to solicit a few recommendations more specific to our circumstances.
We’re staying in Lahaina at the Lahaina Shores Beach Resort from April 25th to May 5th (10 nights). We have a fairly large group going: my wife and I, our 10-month-old son, both sets of our parents, and my sister-in-law and her boyfriend (that’s 8 adults and one child).
The only food-related things we’ve nailed down for sure include all of us attending The Feast at Lele luau, probably Kihei Caffe for breakfast or brunch, and at least one trip to Star Noodle (we’re Top Chef fans!). My dad’s also pretty set on going to Cool Cat Café for their apparently-excellent burger.
Here’s where we’re hoping for some advice on:
- Is it likely that Star Noodle would be able to accommodate all 9 of us at once? How about Cool Cat Café? I get the impression that these are slightly smaller and busier establishments.
- Can you recommend a couple of good not-too-expensive (say, less than $50 per person) that would be able to handle all 9 of us? In/near Lahaina would be nice, but we’d consider elsewhere too.
- How late does the Feast at Lele run to? (An important consideration for us considering bedtime for our little guy. Would we even be permitted to bring him with us?)
- In addition to various meals out, we’ll have access to kitchens and barbeques at our condo. We’d like to cook up some fresh local seafood – is it likely we’d be able to get anything “right off the boat” from the nearby harbour, or should we stick to the local markets/stores?
- Great thing about having both sets of our little guy’s grandparents around is that my wife and I still get a few opportunities to bugger off and do our own thing! With that in mind, we want to do at least two really nice meals alone together. Price is no object. We’d like to focus on Hawaiian cuisine as much as possible (love seafood!). Sushi would be okay, but we live in Vancouver BC and have some pretty excellent sushi at home, so it’s not a priority. We enjoy tasting menus, but again not a priority. A few places that have come up as possibilities would be Merriman’s, Pacific’O, I’O, Amasia, or Lahaina Grill. What would you recommend?
- Speaking of sushi, we do love sushi :-) Anywhere in Lahaina you’d recommend?
- My wife and I would also like to do a nice-ish dinner my sister-in-law and her boyfriend. Any recommendations? They’re not particularly adventurous, but might give a few new things a try while on vacation. Something again in the $50/$60 per person range? (This is a similar question as above, but a smaller place would obviously work alright with just the 4 of us instead of all 9.)
Hmm, so that's probably lots for now -- might have more questions later.
Thanks so much!