Went there today to try it out. My thoughts:
- They have a very limited selection of BBQ sauces - spicy and mild. There were hard to tell apart, they were thick (eww), and they had smoke flavour (cheaters!) added. I want to say it was Bull's Eye.
- Pork ribs were too dry. They were covered in BBQ sauce, which I guess adds to their smokiness by way of cheating.
- Beef ribs were good, but almost a little too smoked to the point of acrid.
- Beef brisket was alright. It was comparable to Holy Smoke's, but it certainly wasn't any more moist or tender.
- Corn bread was terrible. Way, way too dry.
- Loved the spicy coleslaw.
- I strongly suspect the wood used is either 100% hickory or mesquite. That's a little too pungent, there should be some applewood or other milder wood added for balance.
I suppose some of it is personal preference, however thick, sweet, added smoke BBQ sauce I find is completely unacceptable and ruins most everything it touches. I didn't find it any smokier than Holy Smoke, even with the cheater sauce.
Overall if Holy Smoke gets an 8/10 from me than this place gets 6/10. They need to drastically improve the BBQ sauces and reformulate their smoking wood proportions.
Updated 1 year ago | 7
Updated 1 year ago | 0
Updated 2 years ago | 1
Updated 11 days ago | 38
Updated 13 days ago | 36