I read with interest all the Chowhound postings related to bag-in-box wine. That's the kind that comes in a box with a spigot. I ran around shopping today to try to buy the best I could find in SF and want to share the market data. I promise to share tasting data later (ie. after tasting!). If someone can corroborate, then great.
The benefits for me are lower weight in luggage, less chance for breakage, longer lasting after opening, and low cost. Boxed wine is perfect for group hiking to a remote picnic spot, BYOB to a hotel or sneaking alcohol onto a cruise ship. Compared to glass bottles, they appear surprisingly small for 3 liters (same as four 750ml bottles).
Of wines I read about that held any promise of acceptable quality, I found the following today in the 94110 area. All are 3 liter bag-in-box containers, unless otherwise noted.
Plumpjack Wines, 24th St, Noe Valley
$24 Black Box, Chardonnay, Monterey County
$25 Black Box, Cabernet Sauvignon
$11 Yellow + Blue Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina (this is 1 liter juice box only, no bag inside, so will oxidize quickly once opened, like a glass bottle)
$35 La Petite Frog Picpoul de Pinet, Chardonnay(?), France
$25 Le Cask California Old Vine Zinfandel, Lodi
$34 Jean Marc Brocard, Chardonnay, Bourgogne, France
$22 Black Box, Chardonnay, Monterey County
$22 Black Box, Merlot, Sonoma County
$20 Delicato Bota Box, Merlot (BevMo has many other Bota Box varietals, too)
Safeway, Potrero x 16th
$25 Black Box, Chardonnay, Monterey County, $20 w/ Club Card through Aug. 26
$38 Red Truck 2007 California Red, $25 w/ Club Card through Aug. 26
- this one comes in a small round plastic barrel, like a very small keg or sake barrel
- I've had a couple bottles from Trader Joe's and seem to recall it was decent
$20 Fish Eye Shiraz, $12.5 w/ Club Card through Aug. 26 (wow pricing, only $3/750ml)
Whole Foods, Potrero
- no bag-in-box wines, just a couple 1 liter juice boxes
- wine guy there said they used to have some house brand ones, but they didn’t sell well and were probably lower quality than Black Box
Now, where the heck can I get the following?
- Seeberger Pfalz Riesling
- Powers Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon, Badger Mountain Vinyard
- Tefft Cellar Cabernet/Merlot, Washington