after a week or so of reading & participating in threads that have gotten negative, argumentative, and ugly, i ran across an article in food & wine that described a buddhist lunch at a tokyo establishment, daiga. this restaurant is vegetarian and follows these principles:
1) respect the labor of everyone whose work has contributed to the meal.
2) commit good deeds worthy of sharing in the meal.
3) arrive at the table without any negative feelings toward others.
4) eat in order to achieve spiritual and physical well-being.
5) be dedicated to the pursuit of enlightenment.