10 Homemade Pizzas
1. Pancetta and Pepper Pizza. The most time-consuming of the lot but worth the effort (you can make all the toppings in advance), this pie is porky, herbal, sweet, and complex. Bake it on our Basic Pizza Dough for the best results.
2. Sautéed Broccoli Rabe with a Fried Egg. This one is much more than the sum of its parts. Just sauté the broccoli rabe, place it on top of the pizza dough, and bake until the crust is crisp. Meanwhile, fry an egg, then slip it on top along with a few shaves of pecorino just before serving.
3. Marinated Mushrooms and Cambozola. Keep these herby Marinated Mushrooms on hand for an impromptu happy hour or a quick pizza. For the pie, chop up the mushrooms, throw them on some pizza dough, scatter Cambozola (or any other blue cheese) on top, and bake until the cheese is melty and the crust crisp.
4. Roasted Asparagus and Prosciutto. Asparagus wrapped in prosciutto is almost a cliché. But if you roast asparagus, toss it with olive oil and lemon juice, and scatter it atop pizza dough along with some prosciutto and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, the pairing rises to a new level.
5. Potato, Anchovy, and Ricotta. Yes, it’s double the carbs, but such worries are so early 2000s. Boil waxy potatoes until tender, then slice them thinly and spread them around the dough. Add anchovies (we love the white ones from Spain), and finish the whole thing off with a few healthy dollops of ricotta.
6. Smoked Duck Pizza with Hoisin. Though pizza hails from Italy, it has become even more transcontinental since Wolfgang Puck rose to fame. This pizza riffs on Asian flavors without ruining the balance of savory and crunch that’s key to a good pie.
7. Chorizo and Olive Flatbread. Intense oil-cured olives team with harissa paste and spicy Spanish chorizo for a North African pizza that’s as good for your next weeknight meal as it is for an all-night gaming session.
8. Pesto with Sautéed Garlic and Leeks. Mix up an arugula pesto (or one made with basil, parsley, or any other green), slather it on your dough, and top it with sautéed garlic and leeks. You may not want to kiss anyone after a few slices, but this pie is worth the sacrifice.
9. Caramelized Fennel and Goat Cheese. Thinly slice some fennel and prepare it according to our directions for Basic Caramelized Onions. Spread the cooked fennel on the dough along with a generous helping of goat cheese. Bake, then top with a few turns of freshly ground black pepper before serving.
10. Winter Greens and Sausage. Cook kale or chard following our recipe for Sautéed Broccoli Rabe. Spread tomato paste on your pizza dough, and top it with the sautéed greens and some browned sweet sausage before baking.
CHOW’s The Ten column appears every Tuesday.