These are turkey tacos with the indulgence of fast food but the flavor and quality ingredients of homemade. You begin by making a tangy lime-flavored sour cream, then tossing together a chunky mix of cabbage, corn, carrot, and radishes. Next you create the ultimate ground-meat filling: spices and cornstarch cooked with flavorful, juicy dark-meat turkey. The kicker here is the double layer of corn tortillas, a kind of crispy-soft tortilla sandwich, filled with melted cheese. It’s quietly over the top.
For more, check out our Crispy Ground Beef Tacos, Adobo Chicken Tacos, and Quick Chicken Tacos.
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro, plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded, about 1/2 head
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon hot smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon habanero powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound ground dark-meat turkey
- 3/4 cup water
- 24 good-quality thin corn tortillas
- Canola oil
- Shredded Mexican cheese
1In a small bowl combine sour cream, lime juice and zest, and the finely chopped cilantro and whisk until combined. Keep in refrigerator until ready to use.
2Combine sliced cabbage, corn, carrot, radishes, and roughly chopped cilantro. Mix until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
3Combine all the spices with the salt and cornstarch in a small bowl.
4In a large sauté pan on medium-high heat cook ground turkey until done. Mix in taco seasoning and combine well until all the ground meat is covered. Allow to cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add water and mix again. Bring to a simmer to thicken. Continue to stir until the mixture has become thick and smooth.
5Cover a small pan with canola oil and heat. Place a tortilla in pan and cover with a thin layer of cheese; add another tortilla. Once the bottom tortilla has become crispy, flip the top tortilla over into your hand and fill with lime cilantro crema, coleslaw mixture, and spiced ground turkey. Enjoy.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved