Turkey Chipotle Meatloaf
Meatloaf takes on a bold new personality made with dark-meat turkey, bacon, chipotle chiles, smoked paprika, and powdered ancho chile. A ketchup and chipotle chile glaze keeps it as comforting as the standard meatloaf Mom used to make, with a smoky, mildly spicy kick that brings comfort food into the 21st century. Make some sautéed green beans while the meatloaf bakes and you’ll have a memorable weeknight meal in about an hour.
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs (about 3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3 thick strips applewood-smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground dark-meat turkey
1Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the upper third. Generously coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set it aside. In a large bowl stir together the breadcrumbs and milk. Set aside.
2Add the bacon to a food processor and pulse until coarsely ground. Transfer to the bowl with the breadcrumbs, along with the eggs, 1/4 cup of the ketchup, 2 tablespoons of the minced chipotle chiles and 1 tablespoon of the adobo sauce from the can, the onion, celery, cilantro, parsley, ancho chile powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine, then crumble the turkey into the mixture and stir gently to combine.
3Transfer the mixture to the greased baking sheet and pat it into a log about 12 inches long and 5 inches wide. Bake for 30 minutes.
4Meanwhile, stir together the remaining 3/4 cup ketchup and minced chipotle chiles (including the sauce from the can) in a small bowl.
5Spread 1/2 cup of the ketchup-chipotle mixture over the top and sides of the meatloaf. Return it to the oven and bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 10 minutes. Serve with the remaining chipotle mixture alongside.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved