Tangy Asian Couscous Salad with Shrimp, Scallops and grilled Avacado and Mango
I’m not sure if this is Asian, Caribbean or California cuisine. It is a bit of it all. It is a spicy Asian citrus dressing with fresh grilled shrimp, scallops, avacados and mango with fresh scallions and red peppers, jicama and fresh baby arugula. It is a great combination of warm and cold. This can be served warm, room temperature or even chilled. Personally I enjoy it warm but it is strictly up to you.
Sometimes a nice hearty salad is good, but also healthy. This is also great served with some homemade soup and a a nice bread.
- 10 large scallops cut in half
- 16 large shrimp
- (Marinade: 1 tablespoons of lime 1/8 cup olive oil, salt and pepper and 1 teaspoon minced garlic)
- 2 cups Arugula chopped
- 1 box of plain couscous cooked according to directions (I use chicken or vegetable broth instead of water to cook the couscous)
- 2 mangos cut in large pieces skin removed
- 2 small avacados cut in half and removed from the skin
- 4 scallions diced fine
- 1/2 of a red pepper thin sliced
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup of jicama cut in thin strips
- 1 cup seedless cucumber cut in half moons and thin sliced
- Olive oil to grill the avacados and mangos
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro fresh chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
1A few steps but well worth this. I make the dressing first and set aside. I mix the oil, mustard, honey, cilantro, salt and pepper, soy, lime juice and red pepper flakes. Mix well and store chilled until ready to use.
2Then marinade the shrimp and scallops, At least 1 hour … no more than 3. Just mix the lime, olive oil, salt and pepper and garlic. Mix in a large baggie, add the shrimp and scallops and keep in the refrigerator to marinade.
3Now prepare the veggies. In a small bowl, thin slice your red pepper, jicama, scallions, onion, arugula, and cucumber. Now make the couscous and cover and set to the side. I like to make it a large bowl. Just add the boiling broth or water to the bowl cover with a lid or saran wrap until ready to use. 5 minutes later the couscous is done. Right before mixing with your seafood and vegetables, Mix with a fork to “fluff.” Also … remove the dressing to let come to room temperature.
4Also prepare the fruit, just skin removed from the mango and avacado, and cut in large pieces for the mango and in half for the avacado. Drizzle with olive oil, s/p and place on an inside or outside grill pan. Also put the scallops and shrimp on as well. They only takes minutes. Don’t over cook the seafood.
5Now … lightly chop the warm grilled fruit. Just rough chopped. Add the seafood to the couscous with all the vegetables and dressing and toss well. Last minute add the grilled fruit.
6Serve and ENJOY!!!!
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved