My "SSS" Menu. A New Years Resolution Dinner ... Easy Potato SOUP, Great Grilled Cheese SANDWICH and a Simple Romaine with a Oil less SALAD
A New Years Resolution to loose weight … this is it. I cal this my SSS meal. Ok I hate acronyms, but it stands for Soup, Sandwich and Salad. All three are easy, simple and quick. Comfort food … Creamy potato soup in 20 minutes, Cheesey, gooey grilled cheese and tomato sandwich and a great simple salad with a oil-less vinaigrette. Comfort food all the way and a great easy, quick and low fat menu.
I will try to identify the ingredients by SP for soup, SM for sandwich and SD for salad to make it easy. There isn’t much, but it is healthy and light and either one can be served alone or combined with your other favorites. This just happens to be a favorite dinners of mine.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut in 1" pieces (SP)
- 2 carrots (medium) peeled and cut into 2" pieces (SP)
- 1 medium onion cut into quarters (SP)
- 1 large box of chicken broth or stock (SP)
- 1 cup of milk or light cream (SP)
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil and parsley chopped (1 for cooking; 1 for garnish) (SP)
- Salt and pepper to taste (SP)
- 3 slices of pancetta or bacon diced, sauteed as a garnish, OPTIONAL (SP)
- 8 slices of multi grain bread (SM)
- 8 slices of fresh mozzarella (SM)
- 8 slices of heirloom tomatoes (SM)
- 20 or so fresh basil leaves (4 or 5 per sandwich) (SM)
- Salt and pepper to taste (SM)
- Butter or margarine to coat the bread for grilling (SM)
- 2 heads of romaine hearts (SD)
- 1 avacado thin sliced (SD)
- 1 small can of halved olives (SD)
- 2 medium shallot thin sliced (SD)
- 2 raw eggs beaten (SD)
- 1/2 cup sugar (SD)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar (SD)
- 1/4 cup water (SD)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (SD)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1First lets start the soup. In a large pot, add the broth, peeled cut up potatoes, carrot, onion and seasoning and herbs. Boil till all soft. Puree with your immersion blender or add in batches to a blender to puree. Return to the pot and then add the cream and any additional seasoning. Keep warm.
2While the soup cooks, I saute the pancetta to use as a garnish.
3While the soup cooks make the salad and the dressing and get the sandwiches ready. Everything takes no time.
4The dressing … mix the egg, water, vinegar, sugar and seasoning. Cook at medium low for 1 minute in the microwave then sitr good, and cook another minute, stir again. The egg will not and should not cook but just be tempered. Keep warm. It should resemble a creamy vinaigrette without any oil. It is a great dressing.
5Make the salad, just mix the romaine roughly chopped, sliced avacado, avacado and shallots. Set to the side until ready until serving.
6Sandwiches I like to make on a inside grill pan, pancake griddle or large saute pan (whatever you have). Butter one slice of bread, then on the inside layer, cheese, tomato, basil, salt and pepper, cheese and then top with the other slice of bread, butter and grill until brown on each side.
7Toss your salad with the dressing, cut your sandwiches and serve your soup. Top with some of the sauteed pancetta and a little pepper. Simple low fat, easy, quick and teriffic COMFORT food. ENJOY!
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved