Spicy Green Rice (Arroz Verde)
- 2 poblano peppers, stems, seeds, and membranes removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, stem, seeds, and membranes removed and coarsely chopped
- 2 medium scallions, coarsely chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice (not converted or instant)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium lime, halved
1Place the peppers, scallions, parsley, cilantro, and salt in a blender. Add the water and process until smooth; set aside.
2Heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat in a large saucepan with a tightfitting lid. When the butter starts to foam, add the rice, stirring well to coat each grain. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is fragrant and slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
3Add the blended ingredients to the pan and mix well. Simmer for 1 minute, then stir in the chicken broth. Return the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook until the liquid has been completely absorbed and the rice is tender, about 14 minutes.
4Remove from heat and let the rice sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and squeeze the lime halves over the rice. Stir well and serve.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved