Smoky Bloody Mary
The ultimate hangover cocktail, a good Bloody Mary makes everything better. This smoky version uses barbecue sauce and chipotles in adobo sauce to give it a nice edge. If you’re having a hard time finding chipotles in adobo sauce, be creative and add in a different smoked pepper or look for smoky barbecue sauce.
What to buy: Chipotles are dried, smoked jalapeño peppers. This recipe calls for the canned variety, chipotles in adobo sauce (aka chipotle en adobo), packed in a spicy sauce. Look for them in the Latin section of your supermarket.
This recipe was featured as part of our New Year’s Day Brunch menu. See also our classic Bloody Mary recipe.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 4 ounces tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated fresh horseradish
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- Generous squeeze of lemon juice
- Pinch of celery seeds
- 1 English cucumber, cut into 4-inch-long spears
- 1 large green olive
1Combine all of the ingredients except the cucumber spear and olive in a cocktail shaker with ice.
2Shake to combine, and then strain over fresh ice into a highball glass. Garnish with the cucumber and olive.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved