Smoked Trout Pâté
This pâté is delicious on crackers or thinly sliced grilled toasts. If you prefer a smoked trout salad, keep the fish pieces larger and, rather than mixing the fish to break it up, gently fold it into just enough sauce to coat it. Throw this together with our Moscow Mule recipe for a quick and easy dinner party appetizer.
Game plan: You’ll need to make the smoked trout before you begin.
This recipe was featured as part of our smoking project.
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon drained and rinsed capers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces smoked trout meat (from about three 8-ounce whole smoked trout; see Game Plan note)
- Crackers or thinly sliced toasts, for serving
1In a medium, nonreactive bowl, combine the crème fraîche or sour cream, capers, chives, tarragon, paprika, cayenne, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
2Using your hands, break the trout into bite-sized pieces, discarding any bones and skin. Add the fish to the crème fraîche mixture. Stir rapidly with a spoon, using the spoon to break up the fish, until the mixture is a spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve on crackers or thinly sliced toasts.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved