Smoked BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with a Apple Colslaw
I love to use my smokers when I have time and recently made 3 smoked chickens. I used some applewood to give it a little flavor and a great water bath with lots of aromatics. This is perfect for BBQ sandwiches. I have found you usually can buy smoked chicken or turkey at some of the better grocers these days.
I serve in family style of a large baquette cut in small sandwich portions which is great for a party. I make a light apple spread for the base, top with my chipolte BBQ sauce, and then my apple coleslaw.
I do use just a regular BBQ sauce and jazz it up. Many times I have my own and for a large party AI would make it. Sometimes I just make small individual sandwiches for me and my son. Also, I love shredded cabbage. I keep a bag on hand at all times for a quick go to salad, sandwich, in soups and stir fry.
I hope you enjoy!
- 3 cups of smoked chicken (turkey is fine also)
- 1 medium onion thin sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of a good "plain" BBQ sauce (or your own)
- 1 medium chipolte diced fine
- 1/4 cup apple cider
Spicy Sweet Spread
- 3 tablespoons apple butter
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups of pre-shredded coleslaw
- 1/2 cup each thin julienned, jicama, pear and dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups of mayonaise
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider
- 1 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large baguette or loaf of Italian bread thin sliced lengthwise
1First off I dice up my chicken and add my BBQ sauce, the chipolte and apple cider and just let it simmer.
2Make your spread for the rolls which is just equal amounts of apple butter, dijon mustard and garlic and spread on the bread. Grill the bread lightly until slightly brown.
3Now make the coleslaw. I use my bagged pre shredded all the time. I use the kind with red/white and carrots, I add some sliced jicama and pears and dried cranberries. Mix the mayo, cider vinegar, apple juice, honey, salt and pepper and (optional) celery salt. I normally don’t but it is very good. Mix well all the ingredients and toss well with the coleslaw.
4Top the grilled bread with BBQ and then thin onion slices and coleslaw, then put the top of the bread on and slice and enjoy.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved