Slow Cooker Chicken Chile Verde
This slow cooker version of chicken chile verde has all the same spicy, bright flavors as the stovetop version but takes a lot less time to put together initially, and requires no baby-sitting. To add deep chicken-y flavor, we nestle a whole bird over a bed of tomatillos, poblanos, onion, garlic, and jalapeño and slow-cook it until the meat falls off the bone. Serve this comforting dish with warm tortillas, black beans, and spicy green rice. Use the leftovers in an equally comforting creamed chicken recipe.
This recipe was featured as part of our Slow Cooker Recipes for Hot Summer Days.
We also recommend our chicken adobo slow cooker recipe.
- 1 pound medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and quartered
- 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 medium poblano peppers, medium dice
- 2 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion, medium dice
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, stemmed and cut into small dice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1 (4- to 5-pound) whole chicken, neck and giblets removed from the cavity
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (from about 1 bunch)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1Place the tomatillos, garlic, poblanos, tortillas, onion, and jalapeño in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker and stir to combine; set aside.
2Place the cumin, measured salt, and measured pepper in a small bowl and stir to combine; set aside.
3Place the chicken on a work surface or cutting board and pat it dry with paper towels. Cut off and discard any extra fat hanging around the body cavity.
4Drizzle the oil on the chicken and rub it all over the skin. Season inside and out with the cumin mixture. Place the chicken breast-side up on top of the vegetables in the slow cooker.
5Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and falling off the bones, about 5 to 6 hours on high.
6Transfer the chicken to a rimmed baking sheet. When it’s cool enough to handle but still warm, use your hands to shred the meat into bite-sized pieces; discard the skin, cartilage, and bones. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker, add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved