Shaved Celery, Celery Root, and Radish Salad
This crisp, fresh salad has thinly sliced vegetables that are quickly tossed in a vinaigrette. Consider using other vegetables: peeled artichoke, jicama, fennel, or cucumber. Try pairing with a grilled ribeye recipe for a full, hearty meal.
Game plan: This salad benefits from sitting out for a few minutes, making it perfect for a tailgate or picnic.
This recipe was featured as part of our story on How to Troubleshoot Your Salad.
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry, minced, and mashed into a paste with the side of a knife (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 4 1/2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 1/2 teaspoons champagne vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 6 inner, lighter-green celery stalks
- 1 small celery root, also known as celeriac, peeled and quartered
- 1 bunch radishes, ends trimmed
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons celery leaves (from within the celery bunch), coarsely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) chunk Parmesan cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
1Place the anchovy paste, shallot, lemon juice, vinegar, and pepper in a small, nonreactive bowl, whisk to combine, and let sit for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, very thinly slice the celery stalks, celery root, and radishes and place in a large bowl.
2When the anchovy mixture is ready, slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking continuously, until all of the oil is incorporated. Season with salt and additional pepper as needed.
3Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Transfer the salad to a large serving plate and arrange in an even layer. Sprinkle with the capers, celery leaves (if using), parsley leaves, and Parmesan and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved