Roasted Beet Tzatziki Salad
This psychedelic Mediterranean-inspired salad marries bright, fresh ingredients with sweet, earthy roasted beets and perfectly cooked eggs. It tastes as good as it looks on the plate, and all the ingredients make for good snacks.
- 1 cup beet tzatziki, see below
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 yellow heirloom tomato, finely diced
- 1 Persian (mini) cucumber, finely diced
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes
- 2 radishes, sliced into very thin rounds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 cup equal parts torn fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, dill fronds, and mint leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- Sea salt
- 1 cup pickled beets; reserve a little liquid for garnish
- Pinch of ground sumac, for garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, for garnish
For the Beet Tzatziki:
- 1 cup labneh
1 cup grated beets
¼ cup peeled, seeded, and minced Persian (mini) cucumber
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- 6 leaves fresh mint, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1For the tzatziki: combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Season to taste.
2Spread the tzatziki on two serving plates and top with the eggs.
3In a medium bowl, combine the tomato, cucumber, chile flakes, radishes, poppy seeds, fresh herbs, and buttermilk. Season with a little sea salt.
4Broil or sauté the pickled beets to slightly caramelize and blister the outer surface.
5Top the eggs with the cucumber-tomato salad and the hot beets. Garnish with more herbs, a pinch of sumac, a little olive oil, and the pickling liquid from the beets.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved