Red, White, and Green Sandwiches
Here is a sort of sandwich homage to Italy on toasted Squirrely bread, which held up quite nicely to the somewhat wet ingredients. After all, what could be more Italian than roasted red bell peppers, spinach, and garbanzo beans? And the fact that the colors sort of happen to match those in the Italian flag, couldn’t be a mere coincidence, could it?
- 1 15-oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
- 1 10-oz bag washed baby spinach
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers, packed in water and drained
- 8 slices Squirrely Bread, or any hearty whole wheat bread
1Place the first four ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth.
2Place the vinegar in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Add the spinach and stir for another minute. Season with pepper and cook for another few minutes.
3Toast the bread and generously spread some of the garbanzo mixture on 1 slice. Layer the spinach and red pepper on top, and cover with another slice of bread. Makes 4 sandwiches.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved