Adapted from Serious Eats
In this riff on a meridional French classic (adapted from Serious Eats), eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, onion, and tomato are sautéed separately so each retains its integrity. Their flavors marry with al dente pasta, lemon, and basil, in this summery vegetarian recipe.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 cup canned whole tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch strips, juice reserved
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, small dice (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium zucchini, small dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow squash or golden zucchini, small dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small eggplant, small dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 pound dried pasta, such as penne, cavatelli, or garganelli
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, torn in small pieces
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1Warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat, add the garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic is pale golden brown, about 5 minutes (reduce the heat if it starts to brown).
2Add the tomato strips and their juice, turn up the heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until lightly reduced, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, season to taste with salt and pepper, and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
3Wipe out the skillet and warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add the onions, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme leaves and stir to combine. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
4Wipe out the skillet and warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until the oil begins to shimmer. Add the zucchini and cook, stirring constantly, just until it’s tender but still bright green, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme leaves and stir to combine. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
5Repeat with the yellow squash, followed by the eggplant.
6Cook the pasta al dente in boiling, salted water according to the package directions. Drain the pasta, then return it to the pot. Add the tomato mixture, the onions, zucchini, squash, and eggplant. Add the lemon zest and juice and the basil. Toss to combine and spoon into warmed bowls. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved