Pickling doesn’t have to be arduous. Here’s a quick pickle to add zing to any sandwich.
Game plan: The pickled carrots can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
This recipe was featured as part of our Sexy Vampire Halloween Party photo gallery.
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 medium carrots, sliced paper thin
- 1 medium shallot, sliced paper thin
1Toast mustard seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add vinegar, water, salt, and sugar and bring to a rapid simmer. Meanwhile, place carrots and shallot in a 1-quart heatproof container with a tightfitting lid.
2Once the vinegar mixture simmers, pour over vegetables, making sure to cover them completely. Allow mixture to come to room temperature, about 1 hour, then cover. Store in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours before using.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved