California-style vegetarian pizzas with flavors inspired by Mexico: chipotle chiles, pasilla peppers, Yucatecan pickled onions, and cilantro. The smoked mozzarella combines with the chipotles to yield a delicious wood-oven flavor.
This recipe was featured as part of our Pizzas Built for Summer.
- Basic Pizza Dough
- 3 tablespoons puréed chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 small red or yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 fresh pasilla pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Yucatecan pickled red onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1Preheat the oven to 450°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
2Divide the pizza dough into 2 balls and roll them out to 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to 2 baking sheets. Use the back of a spoon to spread the chipotle purée evenly over the dough. Distribute the cheese, cherry tomatoes, and both peppers evenly over the pizzas.
3Bake the first pizza until the underside of the crust is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately brush the crust with a little olive oil (this gives it a nice sheen and a bit of extra flavor). Sprinkle the pickled onions and cilantro over the surface and serve while hot. Repeat with the second pizza.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved