This take on marinated mozzarella may not be the most obvious, but the flavors mellow as they sit to complement the creaminess of the cheese. Just mix all of the ingredients together and stash them in the fridge for a few hours. Serve with Anchovy-Marinated Olives, Marinated Mushrooms, cured meats, and crusty bread for an impromptu picnic.
What to buy: Bocconcini are 1- to 2-inch balls of fresh mozzarella packed in water. They can be found in the refrigerated aisle of most grocery stores—look for them in the “fancy cheese” section.
Game plan: The bocconcini will keep for 1 week refrigerated in a covered container.
- 16 ounces drained bocconcini
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 medium garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Toss all of the ingredients in a large bowl until the mozzarella is well coated. Refrigerate in an airtight container and let marinate at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve at room temperature.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved