Kielbasa with Warm Apple-Bacon Slaw
A warm, bacon-flavored slaw gets a twist with apples and an apple cider dressing. Served with browned and sliced kielbasa, it’s an easy, one-pan, weeknight meal.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces smoked kielbasa
- 2 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 teaspoons apple cider or rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1Heat oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook kielbasa, turning once, until browned about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.
2Cook bacon in the same pan, stirring often, until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and pour off all but 1 tablespoon of fat. Cook cabbage, bell pepper, onion, apple, and carrots until just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Mix in vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Stir in bacon and serve slaw with kielbasa.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved