Honey Mustard Kale Salad with Spicy Tofu
This recipe, from TofuXpress.com, uses pressed tofu. Pressing tofu improves texture, and allows the tofu to absorb more flavor.
- 1 brick extra firm Tofu
- 4 cup chopped Kale
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, sliced into matchbook strips
- 1 Shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil (one tablespoon will be used to pan fry Tofu)
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Honey (try Star Thistle Honey at Sur La Table)
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons 5 Spice Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon ground Ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground White Pepper
Press Tofu in TofuXpress for 2-3 hours, or overnight. Slice Tofu lengthwise, then place back into TofuXpress and using the TofuXpress cutter, cut brick into 24 even squares.
In a medium size bowl, blend Five Spice Powder, Salt, Ginger, Coriander and Pepper. Add Tofu Squares and stir to coat evenly with spice rub.
Toss Kale and Apples together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3Honey Mustard Dressing
In a small mixing bowl, combine Shallot, Apple Cider Vinegar, 3 tablespoons Olive Oil, Dijon Mustard, Honey, and Lemon. Add to Salad and coat to evenly distribute. Set aside.
Heat a skillet (preferably a ribbed fry pan to create skillet lines) on medium high heat. Brush pan with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Place Tofu squares into pan and sear. Flip when browned. When both sides are browned, remove from heat. Place atop Salad. Serve.
Member recipes are not tested by the Chowhound editorial team .
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved