Easy Chicken and Chive-Dumpling Soup
High on the comfort-food factor, this quick, brothy chicken-and-cabbage soup is topped with chive dumplings for a tasty answer to “What’s for dinner?”
This recipe was featured as part of our Cooking with Winter Ingredients photo gallery.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
- 2 medium celery stalks, small dice
- 6 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk (1%, 2% or whole)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large head savoy cabbage, large dice (about 6 cups)
1Heat oil in a large, shallow pot over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onion, celery, and garlic and season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook until onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add broth and chicken and bring to a boil.
2Meanwhile, whisk together flour, chives, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl to break up any lumps. Stir in milk and butter until dough just comes together (it will be very thick). When chicken is cooked through (it will be firm and opaque), add carrots and cabbage and reduce heat to medium low. Add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
3Drop 1 heaping tablespoon of dough at a time into soup and repeat until all dough has been used. Cover and cook until dumplings are fluffy and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved