Cranberry and Citrus Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 4 (2-inch-long) strips candied orange peel, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup water
Maple syrup, red pepper flakes, and candied orange zest make this holiday classic fun again. This “spread” pairs well with our Cheddar Biscuits.
What to buy: Candied orange peel really makes this dish, so look for it in gourmet grocery stores.
Game plan: This can be stored, covered and refrigerated, up to a week. Serve at room temperature.
1Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once mixture has come to a boil, reduce heat to low to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and reduced, about 40 to 45 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Recommended from Chowhound
Back to top
Every kitchen has some rules. Mine doesn't have too many but I admit to being a stickler for a few...