Cobb Salad Dip
Cobb Salad is one of the most classic recipes around, so it’s a mystery to us why no one’s ever thought of making it into a dip. We ditched the greens (let’s face it, dips aren’t supposed to be healthy) and bulked up a blue cheese dip with our favorite Cobb fixings (avocado, scallions, herbs, bacon). Serve it with celery sticks if you want to feign healthiness, but it’s equally good with crackers.
What to buy: A tangy blue cheese is in order for this recipe. We would’ve loved to have used Maytag, but it’s hard to get, so we chose Point Reyes blue and were delighted with the outcome.
Game plan: Step 1 can be done up to 1 day ahead and the dip refrigerated in a covered container. Just before serving, chop the avocado, stir the sour cream mixture, and finish step 2.
This recipe was featured as part of our story on summer dips, as well as our Picnic Recipes and Tailgating Recipes slideshows.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 medium avocado, finely chopped (about 1 1/3 cups, cut just before serving)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 4 slices bacon, well-browned and crumbled
- Celery sticks or assorted crackers, for serving
1Place the sour cream, blue cheese, lemon juice, salt, and Worcestershire in a medium nonreactive bowl and stir until well combined.
2Fold in the avocado, scallions, and parsley, transfer the dip to a shallow serving dish, and top with the bacon. Serve with celery sticks or assorted crackers.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved