Chicory and Arugula Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Some people like the bitterness of chicory and arugula, but in too large a quantity, the greens can be overwhelming. This straightforward salad tosses the bitter lettuces in a slightly sweet honey vinaigrette to balance things out. Add the crunch of toasted walnuts, and you’ve got a satisfying starter any day of the week.
This recipe was featured as part of our Easy Weeknight Dinner menu.
- 1 medium head Belgian endive, coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 small head radicchio, coarsely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 ounces baby arugula (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
1Combine the greens in a serving bowl and set aside.
2Whisk together the vinegar, honey, and measured salt and pepper in a small, nonreactive bowl. While constantly whisking, add the oil by pouring it in a thin stream down the side of the bowl. Whisk until all the oil is incorporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
3Pour the vinaigrette over the reserved greens and, using your hands, mix to coat the salad. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired. Top with the walnuts and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved