Butternut Squash and Kale Toasts
Adapted from Steven Satterfield
Roasted butternut squash meets sautéed kale on grilled country-style toasts in this recipe adapted from Atlanta chef Steven Satterfield, which originally appeared in Food & Wine. Shavings of delicious, fruity-tasting Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese go on top of this perfect centerpiece for a laid-back lunch. Homemade ricotta and marinated olives are ideal accompaniments.
- 2 pounds whole butternut squash (about 1 medium), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch flat-leaf kale (about 12 ounces), tough stems removed, leaves cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 loaf rustic Italian or French bread (about 1/2 pound), cut in 8 half-slices, each about 1/2 inch thick
- 4 ounces shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (about 1 1/2 cups)
1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Add the squash to a medium bowl along with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, a pinch of salt, black pepper, and a small pinch of red pepper flakes. Toss to combine. Spread the squash out on a rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 15 minutes, flip the pieces, and cook another 15 minutes, until the squash is tender and lightly browned.
2Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the kale and cook until it wilts, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until the kale is tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt, black pepper, and a small pinch of red pepper flakes. Add the roasted squash and toss gently to combine. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
3Brush the bread with olive oil on both sides. Set a grill pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the bread and toast on both sides. Transfer the toasts to a serving platter or individual plates, pile each with a mound of the squash and kale mixture, top with the shaved cheese, and serve.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved