Bubbe's Luchen Kugel
Adapted from Bayla Scher
After talking with us, Bayla Scher, a.k.a. Bubbe, gave us a recipe for her low-fat take on the traditional Jewish noodle kugel.
Game plan: This version is rated milchig and can be eaten with dairy meals only; it can be served warm, room temperature, or cold.
- 8 ounces egg noodles (yolk-free noodles can be used)
- 8 ounces low-fat cottage cheese (1 cup)
- 8 ounces low-fat sour cream (1 cup)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine (1/2 stick), melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for cooking the pasta
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
1Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
2Bring a large pot of heavily salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the noodles, stir, and cook until al dente or according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
3Place the cottage cheese, sour cream, margarine, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and measured salt in a large bowl and whisk until evenly combined. Add the noodles and stir until incorporated. Pour the mixture into a 13-by-9-inch baking dish and spread into an even layer. Pour the milk all over the top of the noodle mixture.
4Bake until golden brown on top, about 1 hour.
© Red Ventures. All Rights Reserved