Turn forgotten produce and herbs loitering in the fridge into this easy, quick soup.
Game plan: You’ll need to make Pesto before you begin.
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, medium dice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium carrots, medium dice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, medium dice
- 2 cups additional vegetables of your choice (such as red pepper, cabbage, asparagus, mushrooms, fennel, or peas), medium dice
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 1 pinch dried thyme (optional)
- 1/4 cup white wine or dry vermouth (optional)
- 4 cups (1 quart) low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, medium dice
- Pesto, for garnish (optional, see above)