Easy Basil Pesto
A perfect pesto recipe has as many uses as it does variations. This basic basil version can brighten up any number of things, like grilled corn, vegetable soup, scrambled eggs, or asparagus and goat cheese grilled pizza.
Game plan: The pesto can be made up to 3 days in advance. To store, place it in a container and press plastic wrap on top of the pesto so that it’s touching the surface. Cover with a lid or another piece of plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Or freeze up to 1 month.
- 4 cups tightly packed basil leaves (about 8 ounces of whole basil bunches)
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (about 1 ounce)
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup good-quality olive oil
pesto recipe, garlic pesto, Combine all of the ingredients except the oil in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. With the motor running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream until evenly incorporated. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl, then pulse to finish incorporating all of the ingredients until smooth.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved