Bacon and Black Bean Chili
Add a hit of smokiness to chili with the help of a few strips of thick-cut bacon. We suggest sour cream, cheese and onions for a topping, but a handful of crushed tortilla chips wouldn’t be bad either.
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
- About 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can black beans, drained
- Sour cream, chopped green onions, and coarsely shredded cheddar cheese, for topping
1Cook bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until it just begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Drain off half of the fat. Add onion and garlic, lower heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes.
2Increase heat to medium-high and add ground beef and spices; break it up with a wooden spoon and stir gently until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Add salt, tomatoes, tomato paste, and beans and bring to a boil. If mixture seems too thick, add about 1/3 cup water. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook to let flavors meld, about 15 minutes.
3Serve bowls with dollops of sour cream and a sprinkle of green onions and cheese.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved