Bacon and Cheddar Deviled Eggs
Adapted from Mitch Prensky
Mitch Prensky, chef-owner at Supper in Philadelphia, shared this recipe with us. Hard-boiled egg yolks are mashed with mayonnaise, bacon fat, and thyme, then scooped into the hard-boiled egg whites and topped with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese, for a breakfast-inspired riff on deviled eggs.
To see more of Prensky’s deviled egg recipes, check out this story.
This recipe was featured as part of our New Year’s Eve Speakeasy Party.
- 12 eggs
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons rendered bacon fat (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Crumbled bacon, for garnish (optional)
- Crumbled Fiscalini bandage-wrapped cheddar, for garnish (optional)
1Hard-boil the eggs; cool, peel, and halve them; and carefully remove the yolks. Reserve the whites.
2Combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard, bacon fat (if using), vinegar, and thyme in a medium, nonreactive bowl. Season well with salt and pepper, then mix well until the yolks are broken up and the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
3Evenly pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the reserved egg white halves. As desired, top with crumbled bacon and crumbled Fiscalini bandage-wrapped cheddar.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved