I know that there have been plenty of "I love Alma" posts on this board, but I just had to rave about the wonderful meal we had there on Saturday night.
Disclaimer: Restaurant Alma is my favorite special occasion (read "expensive") restaurant in the Twin Cities. The organic ingredients and excellent cooking always make me happy.
It was a birthday meal, and Mr. Tastebud (the hubby) pampered me by sharing each of his choices. So it was our own tasting menu of eight dishes.
- Miso-glazed cod on wilted spring greens (wow! this might have been the best dish we had)
- Salad with crispy chickpeas and chevre (yummy)
- Farro and white bean risotto with sage and orange (a fabulous combination of flavors)
- White hominy corn souffle with pulled pork and spicy tomato sauce (the best fancy rendition of southern flavors that I've ever tasted)
- Halibut with fava beans in a meyer lemon broth (my three favorite foods in one dish!)
- Seared duck breast with garlic flan (incredibly delicious)
- Black River gorgonzola with salad and candied walnuts (a fabulous cheese)
- Toffee-date cake with candied kumquats and orange-zest ice cream (I can't eat chocolate at night, but with this dessert, I didn't miss it)
It was a truly glorious meal. I'm still floating in a cloud thinking about it!
It wasn't cheap; with two glasses of Hermanos Lurton Rueda for me (Mr. Tastebud doesn't drink), the bill came to $115. But even for this notorious dining cheapskate, it was well worth it!