1) a bottle of red wine that has been sitting in my refrigerator for about a year now, unopened
2) a bottle of white wine that had been sitting in my refrigerator for a year, opened two weeks ago, and left in room temperature with the cork on
Can I still use these for cooking?
For those who are wondering why this happened in the first place:
1) a year ago, I bought some cheap wine for cooking
2) then my mom came to live with me for a year and took over the kitchen completely..
3) she left just few days ago, and now I'm organizing the fridge
It's too bad that we both are unfamiliar with wine and rather forgetful. Two weeks ago we found the bottles in the darkest corner of the fridge and out of curiosity opened a bottle and tasted. It was pretty awful. But mom thought that alcoholic beverage like wine cannot spoil and it was still ok to use for cooking if not for drinking.
Now I am not sure if it is really safe.
Could someone please give me some advice on this, and maybe also on how I can keep wine that I cook with for a long time? Thank you.
by Chowhound Editors | Update, July 17: Amazon's Prime Day sale has officially ended. Some of the deals below are still live...
by Joey Skladany | Prime Day, Amazon's version of Black Friday, has officially arrived and the number of sales is more...
by Grace Gonzalez | Macy’s is the newest retailer to begin offering crazy summer discounts, introducing its new promotion...
by David Watsky | The sous vide method hit the mainstream a few years ago but if you haven't had a chance to try out...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.