I recently got an iSi whip and used it for the first time today to make a dark chocolate earl gray mousse. While the flavor was great, it was definitely over-whipped, came out really "un-smooth", and about 80% of it was stuck inside the canister. Does anyone have any ideas about what went wrong or how to prevent this from happening?
Here is what I did:
-Heated heavy cream and milk, infused with earl gray tea
-Melted chocolate in double boiler
-mixed cream and chocolate together, pour into iSi whip
-Charged whip canister
-Shook up and down 20-30 times (too much?)
-Stored in fridge upright for 2 hours, during which time I would shake it a few times every now and then
-Dispensed into serving vessel
From what I could gather, maybe I just continued to shake for too long? The last few times I shook it, it felt like the contents were no longer fluid at all. I also did not strain it, so maybe the opening was a bit blocked? I have also read that the canister should be left on its side while in the fridge instead of upright. Not sure why that would matter.
Anyone have ideas as to how to ensure I don't overwhip next time? Chefsteps seems to show actually letting half the N2O out after charging, but the instructions in the manual state to use one charger per pint.
by Hana Asbrink | My latest haul. Welcome to Chow...
Sign up for our newsletter to receive the latest tips, tricks, recipes and more, sent twice a week.