Hi, Chowhounders! My partner and I live in NY and are planning our wedding for next year in Philadelphia. We’ve researched a lot of venues and visited a fair number as well. While there are a lot of factors that go into venue selection, for us, the food experience is up near the top (along with price and convenience). Nearly all of the locations require a signed contract before doing a tasting, so I am turning to the locals in hopes that you can opine on venues/caterers with which you have experience.
If you’ve attended a wedding or other event at any of these, would you please advise? How was the food? Seriously…do you remember today what you ate back at the event? Were the different dishes/recipes delicious? Any adverse impact with respect to timing of service, temperature, etc? Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!
- Sofitel. When we visited, we had lunch at the lobby restaurant and it was fine-to-good, if served a tad too cold. The wedding sales person, though, gave a great presentation and emphasizes the chef’s desire and ability to provide great food to our liking.
- Hyatt at the Bellevue. This venue is more expensive than I’m comfortable spending, but we’re trying to see if we can customize a package that would work. I’m afraid the event will seem skimpy because, for example, some of the menu language has shifted from “pick # of hors d’oeuvres” to “pick # of hors d’oeuvres (based on 4 pieces per person)”, which makes me suspect they may allow us to run out (vs. making more if they see guests are gobbling up a particular item). Also, we had lunch at XIV when we visited and it was fine-to-good (better than the Sofitel).
- Front and Palmer/Feast Your Eyes Catering . While this is my favorite in terms of aesthetics, the all-in cost may also be north of what I’m comfortable with. If, however, the food is far and away the best of the bunch, I may try a bit harder to make this work.
- JG Domestic/Cira Centre.
- Top of the Tower. I have seen some other positive discussion on Chowhound for this venue, but those threads are a bit dated. Has anyone been recently? (Any chance the chef still comments here?!) They will actually do a pre-contract tasting, but we have not been able to schedule thus far, and may not be able to before we need to make a decision.
- Liberty View Ballroom or Free Library, with Brulee Caterering. We have not visited Liberty View Ballroom and were only permitted to peek our heads in for 10 seconds at the Free Library when they were setting up for a gala event, so any input on the non-food aspects would be welcome also.
Thank you, Philadelphia commenters!