I've wanted to try Wa for a few years now... just got around to it last night.
Overall, I'd say the food was good but not sublime.
I'm more of a sushi & sashimi purist than a fan of the various prepared dishes you find at places like Nobu and Matsuhisa. But I've heard that Wa is known for their "small plates," so we decided to try some dishes off the specials menu.
* Tuna Carpaccio with shaved truffle ($18): I love tuna and I love truffles, so I thought I would be in heaven. This dish fell a little flat. First of all, the truffles did not taste fresh... and given the price, I'm guessing they were of the preserved variety! The tuna quality was good but not great, so overall, the dish was somewhat of a miss.
* Oysters with jello ponzu sauce ($2.50 each): Wow, these are like candy! The oysters were deliciously fresh and sweet, and they layer on teeny-tiny cubes of ponzu jello (reminded me a bit of salmon roe in texture). It adds the most amazing taste and texture - it was literally a taste explosion in my mouth. Highly recommended. You could probably eat 10 and have a cheap, delicious, and quite satisfying meal. I should have ordered 10 more and stopped there.
Various sushi included:
* Tuna: good quality, not the best I've had, but good
* Toro: a bit disappointing, compared to what I normally have at Nozawa, Sasubune, and others. This was more chewy than toro should be, although the flavor was nice
* Albacore: 2 pieces were great, 2 pieces were absolutely terrible... one even had a piece of bone in it!
* Uni: besides oysters, uni is my other addition. Wa's uni was perfectly firm and sweet, melted in my mouth. Ordered 2 more orders it was so good!
It was a pretty light dinner... the bone in the albacore kind of killed the appetite.
I do want to go back, but if I do, I'll be sure to stick to the oysters, the uni, and many more of the prepared dishes rather than the sushi.
They had about 20 special dishes that night, and I have a feeling we would have had much better luck with them.
Updated 1 year ago | 22
Updated 6 days ago | 26
Updated 23 days ago | 19
Updated 1 month ago | 14
Updated 13 days ago | 76