After attending my daughter's college graduation, I will take her to visit Chicago for a few days. I am looking for some dining ideas during our stay, with the following parameters:
1) We plan to return our rental car when we reach Chicago, stay near in the center (north of the loop) and depend on public transportation.
2) We are fish lovers, although I realize Chicago is not on the coast. We are not interested in steak houses.
3) We are from San Francisco, and would like to try something that is unique (or better prepared) in Chicago.
4) We can budget for one celebration meal at higher price point (such as Topo), and moderate for the rest of meals.
After browsing the board for the past 2 days, I have a couple of ideas and would like to get feedback in our planning:
* We have plenty of traditional mexican in California, and I am fascinated by the Frontera/Topo. Is fish their strong point? In case the travel date does not work out, what will be a good backup "creative Mexican" that is strong in fish.
* We would like to have a meal in Greek Town, as it is pretty weak here. When I traveled in Greece, I have fond memory of simply grilled whole fish. Is there a particular restaurant you can recommend?
* It's Chicago, we have to try deep dish pizza. Any suggesting, given our preference for lighter fare in general?
* Other ideas? We are interested in moderate French bistro, Italian pasta, tapa, dim sum, sushi...