Hello! My family and I just relocated to the Utica area. Specifically, we live in New Hartford. There's plenty of fast food around here and a lot of places to choose from, but I would never consider exploring too much without the assistance of fellow chowhounds!
PLACES WE'VE TRIED:
Pizza Classico - We had this when we were staying at the Hotel Utica pre-move. I really enjoyed it -- very fresh, New York-style pizza. Kind of pricy though.
Nice & Easy - We were staying at the Airport Inn in Oriskany and were desperate for a pizza so, yes, we resorted to gas station pizza. It was surprisingly good!
DeFazio's - This is an Italian place in the Village of New Hartford. It was recommended by the kids across the stress. Pizza was okay, but kind of bland and a little too greasy for my taste. Don't think we'll be having this again anytime soon. (Frankly I preferred the pizza we had from Nice & Easy over this!)
East Dynasty buffet - This is the buffet in New Hartford Shopping Center. Decent food, but not superb. Family friendly, and the price is right.
PLACES WE'VE HEARD ABOUT:
Symeon's Greek Restaurant - Our realtor highly recommended this place. Haven't tried it yet. Any input?
Miscellaneous - I read all of Mike's posts in the thread -- sounds good.
Roma's (or is it Rosa's?) Bakery - Is this as good as I've heard? I love fresh Italian bread.
Spiedi sauce - I know this is traditionally a Binghamton thing, but I bought a bottle at the local Walmart supercenter and am eager to try it. Now I've heard that you grill the cubed & marinated chicken on skewers and serve on an Italian roll with a little mayo and sliced tomato. Is this correct? I want to do it right!
Tomato pie - We tried this local (?) specialty in a little bakery in Rome. It was okay. I don't understand all the fuss though. Are these meant to be used as a base for homemade pizza?
IN SEARCH OF:
1. A good deli -- nothing beats a good Reuben!!
2. A good bakery with good bread as well as cakes & pastries (could Roma's -- or is it Rosa's? -- fill the bill?).
3. A good meat market. Someone recommended Opanawicz. Any other suggestions?
4. Any places for seafood around here?
5. Any other local flavors besides Spiedi's and tomato pie (someone mentioned chicken riggi's -- what is this?)
6. Great, not just good, pizza - I like big, fresh, not too greasy. Lots of cheese. Thin crust but not crispy-thin.
Thanks in advance for your input!!!